Friday 31 August 2007

Opps!



Lovely day to-day. Denice took me out shopping and this is what we bought!

We got up and eight - and drove to Mostyn about 2 hours from where we live to visit a shop called Abakhan. I didn't know this shop existed in Wales and I was in heaven - fabric heaven, well fabric and trimmings and papers and threads .....

You get the picture. One thing that I found really strange was they have big baskets of remnants - you pick your pieces of fabric - and they are priced by the weight!

For example - I use a lot of velvet in my Textile jewellery - so I rummaged through the velvet remnant basket picked out pieces in various sizes that caught my eye; they were weighed and I paid - like shopping for I don't know - fruit and veg - it was quite cool really - as I made some quite creative choices with colour and pattern - especially with the organza. Usually I just buy a metre each of 6 or 7 plain colours - today I bought patterns.

Denice is a patch worker - so she got lots of cottons. She also teaches class - so some of the things she bought are for other patch workers.

Great day.

(I will be playing in the studio tomorrow!)


5 comments:

Digitalgran said...

Isn't Abakhan wonderful? It's far too close to me and I spend far too much money there I'm afraid. i've just come from your website now and find it very inspiring.

Lynn said...

I am so jealous, I used to frequent Abakhan Manchester before I moved to Canada 14 years ago ( I even visited the store in Wales once) There stores are fabulous for crafters finds. I wish we had something like that here. I do make that my fist stop when I visit Manchester.
Hope you enjoy your stash, I enjoyed visiting your page.

www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ontario

Judy said...

Oh how I would love to go to a place like this!!! ;-)

Karen said...

Thank you Margaret, Lynn and Judy for taking the time to comment
Warm regards
K

Unknown said...

Hello all, just to let you know we have just launched our NEW ONLINE SHOP at www.abakhan-onlineshop.co.uk

Thoughts / Comments appreciated.

- Will