Wednesday 17 October 2007

Day 2 of Machine Embroidery Class

Machine Cable Stitch



Today we covered altering the tension on both the top thread and the bobbin - whip stitch and feather stitch. We also tried machine cable stitch - this is where a thick thread is wound on the bobbin and the embroidery is worked on the reverse.



During the afternoon session we covered machine stitched cords, and Jean has stitched her cord onto the piece that she started last week.



Sheilaghs work shows a wonderful build up of texture using whip stitch variations.

Another good day was had by us all - I really enjoy seeing how different folk develop their work from the same starting point. I think all the students are in agreement that after 2 days of machine embroidery - they know their machines a lot better and are beginning to test their machines full capabilities!

Playing around with your machine and practising with different fabrics, threads and tension settings is time well spent if you wish to develop your free machine embroidery techniques.

Again I am having trouble posting the pictures tonight - and I have visitors arriving tomorrow for a few days so ..... I am not sure when I will be able to add more pics.

1 comment:

Judy said...

What a great class! Yes, I am always amazed at how my students branch off into areas that I had never really considered. It's always a challenge to me to keep my mouth shut, my hands off (of their work), and actually encourage them to fly!! You are such a great teacher...wish we lived closer!

xo