Tuesday 3 July 2007

Diary of a Piece - Planning the design

I was pleased with techniques I used in my last piece of work, and want to develop them in my next. So I have decided to do a piece and submit it into an open art exhibition - submissions due on the 16th July - 2 weeks today - no pressure there then (lol).

It is always interesting submitting a "textile" piece into an "art" exhibition - although easier than it was years ago - there is still the eternal debate between "art" and "craft".

The exhibition brief is "In a country Churchyard" - which appealed to me as I have been wanting to do a piece about my local church yard - which I really like. I spent a day there last week with sketchbook and camera. My way of working is not a literal translation of what I see - but concepts and feelings. So the thoughts behind my piece will be around ancestors, life's journey, (cradle to grave), elements.

I want to do the piece on layers of tissue paper - the way it disintegrates is part of the process.

In an earlier sketchbook I had a "journey" design which I wanted to incorporate in this bigger piece. (Canvass size 30cm x 90cm)

The Journey



I also want to include one of the angels!

No comments: